Ideal for dorm rooms at college or boarding school, anywhere for that matter, these Tripp Lite Surge Suppressors, commonly referred to as surge protectors, are UL listed, 790 joules or higher rated, and include a 15 Amp circuit breaker for overload protection, all important features for safer dorm room living. If a student mistakenly plugs too many electronics or small appliances into a surge protector with overload protection, it will shut off until the overload can be safely reduced. Once reduced, simply press the reset button and power up. School housing officials will appreciate the fact that you did not trip the main circuit to your dorm room or cause a fire by overloading a circuit. You will appreciate not having to go to class or on a date with wet hair because maintenance could not get there on time. Keep in mind that all surge protectors are not created equal, daisy chaining is unsafe, and extension cords are generally disallowed on many campuses. Surge protectors with overload protection are the safer choice for students. Be smart and get your school's requirements for safely powering up your room.