Because deliveries to students living on college or boarding school campuses are a completely different animal, it is important to have all the necessary information at your fingertips before ordering a gift basket or care package. Proper preparation and information helps to ensure that your student's gift baskets and care packages successfully arrive on campus throughout the school year.
Here's a few tips from Team DormSmart:
- If opting for Free Premium Ground Shipping, place your order 7 business days in advance to ensure arrival on your student's campus by the desired delivery date. Remember, carriers will not guarantee an exact delivery date unless expedited shipping is ordered.
- If opting for Expedited Shipping, orders placed after 11:00 a.m. central time, ship the next business day. For example, if you order a gift basket with upgraded Next Business Day Shipping at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, the basket will ship on Friday for next business day delivery; meaning, it will arrive on Monday. Business days are defined as Monday through Friday.
- When shipping a package to campus, keep in mind that many colleges and boarding schools do not receive packages or provide pick-up services to students over the weekend. While students can retrieve regular mail from their campus post office box anytime, they may have to wait until the next business day to retrieve packages.
- Confirm your student's campus delivery address and operating schedule for receiving packages. This will prevent you from incurring additional costs associated with providing an incorrect address or shipping a gift basket to campus when the school is closed (i.e. winter break). Additional costs that may be charged by carriers include the cost of additional delivery attempts, address corrections, and return shipping of undeliverable packages.
- Some gift baskets and care packages can only be shipped using 2-Business Day or Next Business Day Services during the summer months. These will be the only shipping options available on those particular items. These shipping options will also include a 48-hour cold pack.
- Ensure we have contact information where you can be reached in case we notice a conflict with your order and student's campus delivery policies.
- Encourage your student to pick up packages promptly so items like gift baskets and care packages do not perish, especially those items that include a 48-hour cold pack. We have no control over where or how your student's school stores packages so it's best to retrieve gift baskets and care packages as quickly as possible.